Basingstoke & Facts & Figures
If you're thinking of starting a business or relocating a business to Basingstoke or the surrounding area, you'll need to base your decision on real evidence. Basingstoke has a good economic performance, as well as a diverse labour market for business, making it an ideal place for business growth.
Local Business Overview
- Basingstoke has been identified as a 'diamond for growth' giving it access to substantial government funds
- The Borough is home to around 80,000 jobs.
- There about 6,300 businesses in the Borough occupying over 7,000 different sites.
- The economy is diverse and varied with a cross representation of business sectors, including manufacturing; finance; IT and business support; distribution, transport and communications; retail, hotels and restaurants, "knowledge based" production and services.
- There is a mix of business sizes in the Borough: around 90% of businesses or enterprises are "micro-businesses" with fewer than 10 employees.
- The Borough has a relatively high percentage of larger companies and those with international or global links. There are around 40 large companies each employing over 250 staff.
- 30 of Hampshire's top companies based in Basingstoke.
Need to know more?..
Useful links to find out about:
- The labour market - unemployment, earnings, commuting pattens
- Business start-up and survival rates, overview of employment in different business sectors
- Social demographics - population, health, education statistics
- Census Data from 2011 - fact sheet
- Environment - CO2 Emissions, waste and recycling rates, travel